Friday, July 18, 2008

Lek Seafood @ Bangkok

One thing I love most about Bangkok is the food. I love their use of herbs and the way they cook pork. The Thais just know their pork! But this post is about their seafood which is uber excellent as well.

Anyway, we travel up to Bangkok once a year like an annual pilgrimage and during the last trip we stayed in this service apartment Unico Grande Sathorn(Now FuramaXclusive) which is almost like side by side with Lek Seafood. I didn't know better then and totally dismissed this dingy looking outdoor cooking "food place". Well better late than never!

This time round we made our way to Chong Nonsi BTS skytrain to savour their most excellent seafood. Oh and there's an excellent massage place called Healthland Spa thats around 15 minutes walking distance from this station too. Better to make bookings before going down though!

After getting all settled down in the air-conditioned section of the restaurant, we were served with their rendition of the quintessential Tom Yam Goong. Simple ordinary looking soup but is a burst of flavour. So much better than the version we had the night before at this award winning restaurant Baan Khanita. Compared one which is pretty upmarket to a regular restaurant, I'd take the regular one anytime.
Lek01

After that came a vegetable that we've never tried before called bitter melon tip. Its like a cross between a Kangkong(Water Spinach) and Spinach with its own unique taste.
Lek02

And then the most anticipated dish arrived. Grilled river prawns!!!!! The better half who supposedly had a bout of allergy reaction to prawns sometime back, whacked 2 of it without me prompting her to. I was expecting to walloped 3 of em but alas... she knows a good thing when she see one! Very fresh and succulent and plenty of juicy prawn paste in the head department. YUMMY!
Lek03

Another one of my favourite is their grilled squid. Together with this spicy sauce... mmmm mmmm mmmmm mmmmmmmm... I practically finished the whole squid.
Lek04

When we arrived inside the restaurant, we spied that most table had this baked seabass dish, so following the age old adage "when in Rome, do as the Romans do," we ordered one as well. It was no mistake at all! Its seemingly plain, seasoned with plenty of salt and probably a bit of garlic wrapped in banana leaf and aluminium foil and grilled. The fish was not even descaled and cleaned of its gills and innards. Boy oh boy, the freshness of the fish shines through and through. One of the nicest seabass I've ever had.
Lek05

We over ordered and stuffed ourselves silly but if you were to ask me if I'd do it again, I'd say HELL YEAH and DOUBLE UP THE PORTIONS FOR THE RIVER PRAWNS!

Here's how it looks like from the outside.
Lek06

Lek Seafood
156 Soi Phiphat, Narathiwat Ratchanakharin Road, Silom, Bangkok
Below the Chong Nonsi Skytrain Platform
Tel : (02) 636-6460, 636-6054

Add to Technorati Favorites Stumble Upon Toolbar

3 comments:

Jan said...

I work a stone's throw from Chong Nonsi station so I'll definitely have to check this place out. It looks delicious!

[eatingclub] vancouver || js said...

I've never seen bitter melon tips before and had no idea that you could eat them. Thanks for sharing.

I'm salivating over all that seafood. . .

southernoise said...

jan: you're so lucky! I can only eat it once a year! :P

js: me too! I'm looking for it around markets here in Singapore, its not so common at these parts as well.