Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Beet pickled eggs

Beet pickled eggs are one of the craziest looking things I've ever seen and I just have to make some. I reckon pickled eggs are as extreme to me as what century eggs are to a caucasian or a balut is to my mum.

beetpickledeggs01

So here I went along trying to make something that I've not even tasted before. Cobbled some recipes online and tried this out.

Ingredients
6 hard boiled eggs
1 beet boiled, peel skin and sliced to around 1/4" thick
1 yellow onion, sliced

Sauce
2 cups water
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon bay leaf powder
1 stick cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon mustard

Method
- Boil all the ingredient for the sauce for a few minutes and add in the beets and onions for a few more.
- Place the eggs in a nicely sterilised jar and pour sauce over it.
- Store in the fridge and eggs are good to eat in 3 days

beetpickledeggs02

Can't say I really love it but I don't hate it either. Texture is chewy after being pickled. I can see why it is a pub grub, I can imagine eating it and downing a Greene King Suffolk Vintage Ale

Add to Technorati Favorites Stumble Upon Toolbar

12 comments:

Keropok Man said...

I thought it was the "full month" eggs!

Natural colouring, not food dye. :-)

Sid said...

definitely looks interesting - and not hard to do as well - In fact, I'm wondering what the effect would be with other foods (like beetroot) that have strong natural color.

Lets see!


Sid

Erinn Shell said...

The color of these is amazing, like little Faberge eggs. Good for you for trying something new, I'd love to surprise my boyfriend with these, he loves eggs and beets.
Cheers!

chiff0nade said...

I made these for my 450-pound live-in boyfriend (I call all of my squeezes "boys" even if they are 56 years old).

I'll NEVER do that again, let me tell you.

Big bear and my brother ate about a dozen of the delightful eggs with two six-packs of cheap beer.

The results were DISASTROUS, believe me.

The flatulence produced by those two guys was unbelievable . . . their "gas" peeled the paint off the walls of our rented trailer house.

But, in moderation, pickled eggs are simply delicious.

Hillary said...

Wow that's an intense color! It looks like you painted the eggs for Easter!

southernoise said...

k-man: haha... pretty intense huh?

sid: beet makes everything purple and evil like Barney the Purple Dinosaur! :)

erinn: I've not heard of Faberge eggs and I thought it was something edible... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faberg%C3%A9_egg
So now I know! lol, good luck with the eggs!

chiff0nade: LOL, thats funny! the sulphur in the eggs + onions + vinegar AND beer is one helluva cocktail for weapons of mass destruction!

hillary: yes its intense! purple eggs are evil like Barney the purple dinosaur!

Renaedujour said...

It's a pretty egg but I'm not sure I'd want to eat it. My dad used to try to make pickled eggs all the time-- I'm not sure why. It drove my mom crazy. He didn't have beets so his eggs always turned out yellow.

urfavorite2hate said...

Heh, you did it all wrong :)
well there are a few ways to make them but the best way is the easiest.

12 eggs (hard boiled, shells removed)
6 cans of beets
4 cups vinegar
3 cups sugar
1 really big jar (or a few smaller jars)

Now take your beets and vinegar and dump it all in a pot (beet juice included) and bring to boil then add your sugar and stir it around a bit. Put the eggs in the jar(s). And pour the boiled juices in the jars. Now put in the fridge for about 1 week... Enjoy! They are the best pickled eggs ive ever tried, in fact, i dont buy them anymore, i like them homemade just like this, all the other stuff is not needed :-X

Pat said...

These "Red Beet Eggs" were always a favorite bar-food where I grew up in the Pennsylvania mountains. They pickle quicker if the hard-boiled eggs are still hot when you put them in the hot pickle mix. The recipe isn't rocket science - a dz hard-boiled eggs, a can of beets, a sliced onion, qt. of vinegar, cup of sugar and a lot of pickling spice. DeeLish!!

Sasha. said...

This seems strange, like a willy wonka or Heston blumethanal (SP?) dish. :0

Growl Muffin said...

...or you make them like my grandma did- buy a jar of pickled beets, eat the beets, replace with hard boiled eggs. (common in PA)

Sidney Agev said...

XD "...peeled the paint off the walls..." That made my day.